This website may contain affiliate links and advertising so that we can provide recipes to you. Read my disclosure policy.
Delicious homemade hot chocolate mix that you can enjoy all winter long! It’s easy to customize and makes a perfectly rich and creamy cup of hot cocoa every time.
Hot chocolate is essential for cold weather! Not only is it delicious, but it warms you up from the inside-out. Try these other great recipes next: pumpkin pie white hot chocolate, peppermint hot chocolate, and Mexican hot chocolate!
Recipe for Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix
On those chilly days when you crave a warm and comforting beverage, look no further than this homemade hot chocolate mix. With just a handful of pantry staples, you can whip up a delicious cup of hot cocoa in minutes! This recipe is not only easy to make but also easy to store and customize to your liking. It’s nice because you know exactly what’s in it!
Whether you prefer your hot cocoa rich and dark or light and sweet, you can easily adjust the ingredients to your liking. Plus, this homemade hot chocolate mix makes a wonderful gift for friends and family. (Because everyone loves a good cup of hot chocolate!) It’s the perfect way to spread some holiday cheer. So gather your ingredients, put on your coziest pajamas, and let’s indulge in a mug of homemade hot cocoa goodness. Here’s everything you need:
Ingredients You’ll Need
Making homemade hot chocolate mix is a breeze with just a few simple ingredients: powdered milk, powdered sugar, cocoa powder, powdered coffee creamer, and salt. The exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below, so you can whip up a batch in no time.
- Dry Milk Powder: (Whole or non-fat, depending on your preference.) This adds creaminess and richness to the hot chocolate mix. It also helps to stabilize the mix and prevent it from clumping.
- Powdered Sugar: Adds sweetness and helps to dissolve the cocoa powder. The end result is perfectly smooth.
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder: This is key to making flavorful hot chocolate. You can use regular unsweetened cocoa powder or Dutch-processed cocoa powder. Dutch-processed cocoa powder is slightly darker and has a less acidic flavor.
- Powdered Coffee Creamer: So your hot chocolate mix has a touch of vanilla flavor. The creamer also helps to make the hot chocolate even creamier.
- Salt: Salt may seem like an odd addition to hot chocolate, but it actually helps to balance the sweetness and bring out the other flavors. A pinch is all you need!
How to Make Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix
Make your own custom batch of hot chocolate mix in minutes! It’s perfect for gifting or when you get a sweet tooth.
- Combine: To a large bowl, add the powdered milk, powdered sugar, cocoa powder, powdered coffee creamer, and salt. Whisk together until combined.
- Store: Store the dry mix in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
- Making Hot Chocolate: To make hot cocoa, put ⅓ cup of the hot chocolate mix in a mug then stir in 1½ cups of hot milk. You can also use non-dairy milk as well. Water can be used, but milk gives the best results!
- Enjoy: Top with whipped cream if desired and enjoy!
Add-Ins and Toppings
Customizing your hot chocolate mix is the best part of the whole process! Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Add Your Favorite Chocolate: Add 1 1/2 cups finely chopped chocolate or white chocolate chips. It melts into the hot milk and makes it rich in flavor. You could even do butterscotch chips for a fun variation!
- Peppermint Candy: I love to add bits of peppermint candy. They melt into the hot chocolate and give it the perfect holiday flavor!
- Spices: Cinnamon, nutmeg, or cardamom for cozy, warm flavor.
- Extracts: Stir in flavored extracts like hazelnut, peppermint, or vanilla. A little goes a long way, so add a small amount to begin with and then adjust to taste!
- Toppings: Marshmallows (mini or regular), whipped cream, caramel sauce, chocolate sauce, crushed Oreos, toffee bits, you name it!
Perfect for Gifting!
I love making homemade hot chocolate mix for my neighbors during the holidays! Simply grab a few small, airtight jars, seal them up, and decorate them with some festive ribbon! No one can resist a good cup of hot cocoa. These homemade hot chocolate bombs are another great option if you need more fun (and delicious) gift ideas!
How Long Does Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix Last?
As long as it’s in a sealed container, your hot chocolate mix will last for up to 3 months in a cool, dry place. You’ll be able to use it all winter long!
Pin this now to find it later
To a large bowl, add the powdered milk, powdered sugar, cocoa powder, powdered coffee creamer, and salt. Whisk together until combined.
Store the dry mix in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
To make hot cocoa, put ⅓ cup of the hot chocolate mix in a mug then stir in 1½ cups of hot milk. You can also use non-dairy milk as well. Water can be used, but milk gives the best results!
Top with whipped cream if desired and enjoy!
Serving: 1.5cupCalories: 65kcalCarbohydrates: 9gProtein: 7gFat: 0.1gSaturated Fat: 0.1gPolyunsaturated Fat: 0.01gMonounsaturated Fat: 0.04gCholesterol: 4mgSodium: 96mgPotassium: 322mgSugar: 9gVitamin A: 392IUVitamin C: 1mgCalcium: 227mgIron: 0.1mg
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.